April 16, 2016, 17:30:43 PM

gillmalik

Well done to the first team today  ;)
August 03, 2014, 07:30:32 AM

oldgit

Roll on the new season nearly new team and more challenges
May 21, 2014, 12:31:48 PM

Juggler

Didn't see that coming! Thanks Richard for being our most successful manager.
February 27, 2014, 12:37:21 PM

Juggler

Apologies for the Server Outage that took the Forum down yesterday. Not a lot I could do as it was a total Data Centre Outage.

Show 50 latest

Theme Selection

Author Topic: Players Leaving  (Read 524 times)

fenlandphil

• Youth Squad
  • Goal Difference: +14/-1
Players Leaving
« on: July 06, 2017, 17:34:02 PM »
It appears that both Josh Mayhew and Ryan Yallop have both left the club and have signed for Stowmarket Town. I'm glad that Ben thinks that every thing is ok. I'm starting to panic.

Argie

• Boot Cleaner
  • Goal Difference: +0/-0
Re: Players Leaving
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 18:49:49 PM »
In fairness to Ben and the club, it's hard to compete with clubs paying cash in hand to players. And of course young men will be lured by silly money

Igor Blimey

• Youth Squad
  • Goal Difference: +20/-1
  • Blue To The Bone
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 15:05:42 PM »
In fairness to Ben and the club, it's hard to compete with clubs paying cash in hand to players.

It seams it's hard for us to compete with a team offering luncheon vouchers or not playing on a Saturday.
Since last Season we have lost in the region of 6-7 players from the squad.We have bought in a goalkeeper re-signed three players that where already with us so to me we are five to six players short. Possible signing of Ramadan from Ipswich but already looking like mid table mediocrity beckons for next year.Really hope I'm wrong but can't see past it yet.

simon

• Boot Cleaner
  • Goal Difference: +2/-6
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 21:57:21 PM »
It is hard to compete with local clubs who have a couple of people putting in 1k a week and paying players cash in hand. As you have all seen with Histon and others, that doesn't last so why not pack up the negatives, get into reality and support the club. By the way, 250 a week (cash) is hardly luncheon vouchers.

parkroadblues

• Boot Cleaner
  • Goal Difference: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 16:57:17 PM »
I think we have all noticed over the last two seasons that the squad has been stretched and doesn't have sufficient depth. Usually around November after a good start the results start to slip , injuries mount up and we often struggle to even name 5 subs .

Josh Mayhew was never that popular with some fans perhaps because of his languid style but he was top scorer and could only have improved this season . The main thing now is that Bury bring in a suitable replacement to score the goals that will be necessary if we are going to compete.  Ryan Yallop looked an emerging talent and he is also another big loss.  Player retention is a big problem as surely this is going to happen time and again especially as we watch other  Suffolk clubs rise up and over take Bury.

Time after time last season I heard many fans say that Bury is the best supported club in this league by a mile in attendances. Is it the case that other clubs are achieving better sponsorship deals ? Are there other ways of making funds for the club ? The new clubhouse is a step in the right direction and must help.  I notice that Stowmarket hold a music on the pitch event with local bands  apparently one of their biggest fund raising events of the year. A lot of organisation but could Bury do the same ?

JCrouch

• Boot Cleaner
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 10:00:59 AM »
A music concert at a football ground in the middle of a residential area, can't see the council allowing it somehow.

The money that certain clubs are paying are not coming out of any brilliant commercial activities they are doing, it is from the pockets of one or two individuals who like chucking their own money into a football club. The guy at Billericay is the classic example. Lowestoft and Margate are other examples from the past (both of who are now struggling to attract or keep players now that the money has run out). This will always happen in Non league football and there is little point getting annoyed about it, Russ, Ben & Christian will keep doing what they're doing and we should have faith in that.

Personally I felt the squad we finished last season with is the best squad we've had for a while and the players we've lost haven't really affected that for me. We've signed one of our best players from last year (Kyran) added a good young keeper and signed a striker with great potential. One or two more additions and I think we'll be fine. No need to panic.

parkroadblues

• Boot Cleaner
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 17:12:56 PM »
Believe it or not music concerts at football grounds in residential areas happen all over the country. Greens meadow stowmarket is fairly residential not too disamliar to ram meadow. Outdoor music events have been held at the west Suffolk college car park  and of course abbey gardens. Any way the point is if we don't have a wealthy benefactor then the club has to look at all potential ways of raising further income in order to try and compete for promotion and retain players or accept we will at best remain in the same league.